I pray that a modicum of peace can be gained through the death of Osama bin Laden for all affected by the terrorist acts on 9/11. However, I also pray that it is realized that the murder of a murderer is not justice but rather it is vengeance. In my heart of hearts, I am afraid of what retaliation may occur, or who may arise to claim the seat as the "new" bin Laden, simply because he was not shown justice.
(Side Curiosity for my Inner Biologist: What effect does the human body have on the undersea ecosystem into which it is deposited? Is that going to be a negative thing?)
Dear Mr. President, thank you for your somber attitude while delivering your speech. Please, don't allow anyone else to be assassinated. It hurts my heart, even though bin Laden's deeds were terrible, reprehensible, he was a human entitled to fair trial, even if the outcome was already known. Sanctity of human life. Neighbor.
What is it that America is supposed to stand for? Liberty and Justice for All. If we are American, that should be our stance toward the rest of the world, right? We shouldn't say, "I have more power than you, so I will just have my way." We should honor the ideals we are taught to stand for (since we know they are "right" or "good"). Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - what are these if justice cannot protect them? What should happen if true justice is circumvented, brought short or low?
I cannot rejoice in murder, though I perceive the sort of relief that the living victims of 9/11 must have felt upon hearing the news. Still, this is not cause for celebration. I am not mourning bin Laden's passing as a man. I lament the fact that he was not brought to justice.
No comments:
Post a Comment